Research and Professional Interests
Primarily through modeling, Dr. Hilpert investigates the effects of a complex and heterogeneous pore geometry on the filtration of nano-particles and viruses. In collaboration with Drexel University who performs experiments, he investigates the effects of bacterial chemotaxis on contaminant transformation in groundwater. In collaboration with USC he investigates the spread of antibiotic resistance in microbial communities in soil and groundwater that are exposed to animal waste containing antibiotics given to the animals for the purposes of growth promotion.
Areas of Collaboration
- Emerging contaminants
- Water treatment technology
nano-particles, heterogeneous pore geometry, bacterial chemotaxis, antibiotic resistance
Laboratory science, Conceptual modeling
- Hilpert, M. (2010). Effects of dynamic contact angle on liquid withdrawal from capillary tubes: (Semi)-analytical solutions. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. Accepted.
- Long, W., H. Huang, J. Serlemitsos, E. Liu, A.H. Reed,and M. Hilpert (2010). A correlation for the collector efficiency of nanoparticles for clean-bed filtration in packings of nonspherical collectors. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 358: 163-171.
- Hilpert, M. (2010). Explicit analytical solutions for liquid infiltration into capillary tubes: Dynamic and constant contact angle. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 344: 198-208.
- Hilpert, M. (2009). Effects of dynamic contact angle on liquid infiltration into inclined capillary tubes: (semi)-analytical solutions. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 337: 138-144.
- Hilpert, M. (2009). Effects of dynamic contact angle on liquid infiltration into horizontal capillary tubes: (semi)-analytical solutions. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 337: 131-137.
- Long, W., and M. Hilpert (2009). A correlation for the collector efficiency of Brownian particles in clean-bed filtration in sphere packings by a lattice-Boltzmann method. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 4419-4424.
- Hilpert, M. and A. Ben-David (2009). Infiltration of liquid droplets into porous media: effects of dynamic contact angle and contact angle hysteresis. International Journal of Multiphase Flow 35: 205-218.
- Long, W., and M. Hilpert (2008). Lattice-Boltzmann modeling of contaminant degradation by chemotactic bacteria: exploring the formation and movement of bacterial bands. Water Resources Research 44: W09415.
- Glantz, R., and M. Hilpert (2008). Fast invasion percolation using minimum weight spanning trees. Physical Review E 77: 031128.
- Glantz, R., and M. Hilpert (2008). Tight dual models of pore spaces. Advances in Water Resources 31: 787-806.
- Haws, N.W., M. Paraskewich, M. Hilpert, W.P. Ball (2007). Exploring relative rates of axial diffusion in a cylindrical macropore column. Water Resources Research 43: W10409.
- Long, W., and M. Hilpert (2007). Analytical solutions for bacterial energytaxis: traveling bacterial bands. Advances in Water Resources 30: 2262-2270.
- Hilpert, M. (2007). Capillarity-induced resonance of blobs in porous media: analytical solutions, Lattice-Boltzmann modeling, and blob mobilization. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 309: 493-504.
- Glantz, R., and M. Hilpert (2006). Dual models of two- and three-dimensional porous media. Advances in Water Resources 30: 227-248.
- Adalsteinsson, D., and M. Hilpert, M. (2006). Accurate and efficient implementation of pore-morphology-based drainage modeling in two-dimensional porous media. Transport in Porous Media 65: 337-358. Abstract
- Hilpert, M. (2005). Lattice-Boltzmann model for bacterial chemotaxis. Journal of Mathematical Biology 51: 302-332.
- Hersum, T., M. Hilpert, and B. Marsh (2005). Permeability and melt flow in simulated and natural partially molten basaltic magmas. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 237: 798-814.
- Pan, C., M. Hilpert, and C.T. Miller (2004). Lattice-Boltzmann simulation of two-phase flow in porous media. Water Resources Research 40: W01501. Abstract
- Dalla, E., M. Hilpert, C.T. Miller, and, D. Pitea (2003). Modelling the dissolution of non-aqueous phase liquid blobs in sphere packings. Annali di Chimica 93: 631-638. Abstract
- Hilpert, M., C.T. Miller, and, W.G. Gray (2003). Stability of a fluid-fluid interface in a bi-conical pore segment. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 267: 397-407.
- Hilpert, M., R. Glantz, and C.T. Miller (2003). Calibration of a pore-network model by a pore-morphological analysis. Transport in Porous Media. Transport in Porous Media 51: 267-287.
- Dalla, E., M. Hilpert, and C.T. Miller (2002). Computation of the interfacial area for multi-fluid porous medium systems. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 56: 25-48.